Friday, August 13, 2010

Human Foosball anyone . . . ?

It has been a while since my last update, there has been a good, well fairly good reason for this . . . Camp Sonshine Africa has moved offices and I have moved house! All at the same time. While these two moves are very much interwoven, as I often struggle to know where the divide between my personal life and Camp Sonshine Africa are (which is a good thing as I feel I am living what I am so passionate about every single day), it does not make moving any more fun! Anyone who has ever moved house can certainly relate I am sure! The physical move was not even far in terms of distance, in fact, as I sit and type this I can actually look out of my new office window and see the old office! It does signify the end of one era, but also the start of a brand new and exciting one! Below is a picture of the view from our new office.

Things have not been easy at Camp Sonshine Africa lately, we are dealing with many difficult and challenging issues. However in the midst of what often feels like an attack on us personally and on the children and community we are working with, we know that through this we grow and learn and we are determined to come out of these difficult times stronger and wiser! It is often through difficult times that are able to see sparks of goodness and growth far more clearly. A shining example of a small, yet HUGELY significant boost for me was this morning when one of the children I take to school every morning gave handed me a note as she got into the car. When I got home and opened the note I came close to tears, the note was thanking me for taking her to school every morning and telling me that she loved me! This is why I do what I do - not for the "thank you" notes, but to make a significant and lasting difference in the lives of these children and this community. When I get a chance to actually see that this is happening it goes a long, long way in helping me know that we are doing what we believe God has called us to do. It is impossible for me to explain to this 8 year old child how special such a note is to me and how perfectly timed it was.

We had 2 brand new student volunteers start work with us this week, Rebecca from England will be with us until April 2011 and Sina, from Germany will be with us until the end of Septemer 2010. It
is always exciting to get fresh faces involved in the work that we are doing, we are always encouraged and enthused by their fresh enthusiasm!

Next month we will be holding an awesome community day (11 Sept). A local corporate events company has been incredibly generous in volunteering to facilitate some incredible activities for us at bare minimum cost price! They will bring equipment for the following eve
nts - human foosball, action soccer, action netball and action cricket! The aim of the event is to allow children and their families to have fun together, in a healthy environment. The cost to us is just R2000 ($290) - the regular cost would be around R12 000 ($1700)! We are looking for a company / companies or individuals who would be able to help sponsor this cost. Please contact me if you are able to help - Alison Smith - alisonlsmith@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment